What we're looking for
We have been tasked by a US-based company in the IoT/Sensor space to recruit for a back-end engineer with 5+ years of experience to join our client's software engineering team.
The role is full-time and remote-based in Europe.
As a back-end engineer, you’ll be jointly responsible for the systems that ingest, analyse, and disseminate data from our client's sensor installations all over the world. Together with the rest of the software team, you will report directly to the client's CEO, and your work will be facilitated by a product owner and project manager.
The hours for this position are generally 9 to 5, but you will share on-call responsibilities with the rest of the software team, 1 week every month, in case of emergency.
In practice, production incidents that require fast response are rare, and our engineering and ops team is spread around the world to provide the best time zone coverage.
- Solving problems by designing, coding, shipping, and administering services in a production environment
- Solving problems without writing code when possible
- Reasoning through trade-offs when designing new services, including concerns about simplicity, reliability, security, scalability, maintainability, and performance
- Writing unit tests that run during development (about 30% of our client's code is unit tests), and integration tests that run against live services
- Helping the team continuously add, delete, and improve our development process
- Provisioning infrastructure, such as load balancers
- Communicating your changes in internal and external documentation, and in direct communication with customers
- Being familiar with the entire system, and the primary owner of part of it. Our client's software team includes former Microsoft and Apple engineers, who were tired of owning a vanishingly small piece of an enormous system
- Supporting other ad hoc projects aligned with the overall goals of the engineering team
About the client's stack:
- The client uses Go for all their back-end code
- They use docker to ship code and kubernetes to run it. They use managed kubernetes offerings like EKS
- They use Postgres for our main database, InfluxDB to store sensor data, and Redis for caching.
- Their sensor front-end is an MQTT gateway that pushes data to Kafka
- They sparingly use cloud provider offerings like network load balancers and S3.
Skills and Requirements:
- 3~5+ years experience shipping production server code. You understand how to ensure the code you write is reliable and maintainable in a server environment.
- Experience doing ops for production services. You know the value of monitoring, logging, and liveness probes.
- Experience building APIs used by third party developers. You value backwards compatibility.
- Fluency with Git. You’ve used it for years and can’t imagine writing code without source control.
- Familiarity with Linux as a development platform. You’re at home in the terminal.
- Experience with SQL databases. You can discuss trade offs between different schema designs, and are comfortable consuming SQL without using an ORM.
- Experience with Go in particular for production.
- Experience with Postgres and Redis in particular.
- Experience with docker and Kubernetes.
- Experience working with an IoT system. You’re familiar with different connectivity patterns, and workflows like device provisioning and firmware upgrades.
- Deep knowledge of the networking stack, including how IP, TCP, HTTP, DNS, TLS, etc. all work together
You will be a great member of the client's team if you are also:
- Not afraid to take challenges and try different things
- Driven, persistent, and fun-loving
- Passionate about learning
- Taking ownership of problem-solving and delivering outcomes
- Mission-driven and want to make a real impact on our environment
- AWS EKS/Kubernetes
Benefits & Work Environment
The environment the client can offer you:
- Monday to Friday
- Vacations and company holidays
- Same benefits policies as US based employees.
How to Apply
If this is something which resonates with your career growth and development path, do share your CV with us at email@example.com with subject title - BEN-GOL-799